Seborrheic dermatitis is a troubling skin condition that has ties to hair loss. Other symptoms are redness of the skin, scaly patches, and dandruff. There are certain cases where this skin condition affects the back, face and chest of the patient.
It is important to acknowledge what caused this condition in order to have the right treatment. It is essential that you take good hygiene and a good care of your skin.
The exact reasons behind Seborrheic Dermatitis are not still acknowledged, but there are two big causes that are surely connected to it. The first one is an increased oil production that makes the whole skin red and greasy, and the second is fungus Malassezia that is a natural oil found in the skin and if it grows more than usual, it can result in this skin condition.
You need to be careful about several things in order to reduce the risk of seborrheic dermatitis. These factors can develop seborrheic dermatitis:
- Genetically transferred from your parents
- Stress and Depression
- Obesity and Fatigue
- Low maintenance of the skin
- Environmental pollution or radiation
- Wrong skin care products
- Medical conditions such as HIV or Parkinson’s disease
Symptoms of Seborrheic Dermatitis
- Redness and itching
- Hair loss
- Oily and greasy areas of the skin
- White scaly patches that are developed in the hair, beard or eyebrows
How to treat Seborrheic Dermatitis
Usually, every patient who suffers from this disease is reaching for medications instead of the goods from nature. There are several home therapies that you need to try in order to avoid seborrheic dermatitis from happening to you.
- You need to use good shampoos for dandruff and carefully wash your scalp every day.
- If you have beard problems, shave it immediately.
- Use OTC anti-itch and antifungal creams to prevent itching and redness.
- Buy clothes made of cotton in order to avoid skin irritation.
If you seek medical attention, your doctor will probably prescribe the following therapies:
- Metronidazole – a medication that will kill the bacteria and you can find it as gel or cream. Use it two times per day until you see good effects.
- Shampoos for seborrheic dermatitis – they should contain fluocinolone, desonide or hydrocortisone. You need to apply them directly on the area that is infected. However, don’t use them too long because they might inflict some slight side effects.
- Light therapy or psoralen – in order to control the symptoms, such as hair loss. You can either take psoralen as a medication or apply it on the affected area.
Natural treatments for Seborrheic Dermatitis
- Apple Cider Vinegar
This product will definitely help you by regulating the pH of the scalp and removing the bacteria. It will also bring relief with the itching. To prepare it, add 4 tbsp of Apple Cider Vinegar in 2 cups of water and mix it. Before applying the mixture, wash your hair with sulfate-free shampoo. Apply a conditioner and rinse your head thoroughly. The last step is to apply the mixture to your head and rinse it afterward. It is recommended that you do this only once per week.
- Aloe Vera and Tea Tree Oil
These natural ingredients will remove the follicles of hair, will kill the infection and will bring relief from the itching by soothing the inflammation. To prepare it, combine 2tbsp of Aloe Vera Gel and 20 drops of tea tree oil. Apply the mixture and leave it at least for 15 minutes. Wash and rinse your head with a sulfate-free shampoo and cool water. It is recommended that you do this twice per one week.
- Baking soda
It is a good exchange for the shampoo and it will regulate the oil production. It is often used to create a softer hair. Before applying it, wet your hair with warm water and apply two tablespoons of baking soda. Massage your scalp for several minutes and wash your scalp with warm water. It is recommended that you do this at least two or three times per week.
This fruit has several roles that can really help your skin. By using the juice of lemon, you will control the pH level of the scalp and your body will regulate the oil production. To prepare it, take a fresh lemon and remove two tbsp of the juice and apply the juice with a cotton pad directly on the scalp. Leave it as it is for at least 15 minutes and wash your hair carefully with warm water. It is recommended that you do this at least three times per week.
Because of the antibacterial and antifungal properties of the honey, it can help you treat the infection faster and more effectively. It can prevent your skin from irritating which leads to a successfully cured seborrheic dermatitis. To prepare it, mix one tablespoon of honey with one tablespoon of water and apply the mixture on the scalp. Let it stay for at least three hours for best results and wash your hair with lukewarm water. It is recommended that you do this at least three times per week.
- Borage Oil
Last but not least, this oil can help you treat seborrheic dermatitis faster by moisturizing your skin and decreasing the oil production. Borage oil will also help you with the infection and irritation. To prepare it, take one tsp of borage oil and apply it on a cotton pad. Then, apply it on the scalp and leave it for the whole night. As soon as you get up in the morning, wash your scalp with sulfate-free shampoo and warm water. It is recommended that you do this at least four times per week.